Re: find-file change between emacs 21 and emacs 22

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: find-file change between emacs 21 and emacs 22
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 06:17:29 +0200

> From: Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:22:46 -0600
>
> In emacs 22, simply hitting return after the ^X-^F reads in the
> directory.  That confuses me a lot.  I'm simply not use to it.

Most people wanted this change.  You seem to be the first one to want
the old and confusing behavior.  It is confusing because re-reading
the file is not something an Emacs user would normally want.  Can you
tell why you need that?

> Is it possible to revert it back to what emacs 21 did -- maybe a
> customized option or some variable I can set?

Not really, but the NEWS entry that describes the change shows a
work-around:

  ** C-x C-f RET, typing nothing in the minibuffer, is no longer a special case.

  Since the default input is the current directory, this has the effect
  of specifying the current directory.  Normally that means to visit the
  directory with Dired.

  You can get the old behavior by typing C-x C-f M-n RET, which fetches
  the actual file name into the minibuffer.