cperl syntax mode latency is almost -> completely unusable

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: cperl syntax mode latency is almost -> completely unusable
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:40:59 -0800

Hello list,

I am using Emacs 22.90 with cperl-mode. On small files the performance
is acceptable and the features are very powerfull. On files > 500 lines
or so it becomes a little laggy. In one particular file I have here docs
nested inside of an anonymous hash. The latency is so high for cursor
movement/inserting characters that I can type 10-15 characters before
they appear on-screen. In fact if I didn't wait for emacs to catch up I
suspect I could extend the input queue almost indefinitely.

My Machine is old , but not slow; not for this at least.

uname -a = "Linux reforged 2.6.18.2 #1 PREEMPT Sat Nov 4 19:16:56 PST 2006 i686
AMD
Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux"

If this is a known problem with a known fix any help would be
appreciated. If this is a new issue then I will work up a
reduced test case to repoduce it.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie