Re: Numbered backup stopped working

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Numbered backup stopped working
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:11:05 -0700

David Combs wrote:
> Question: is there a way to get apropos, for variables,
> to also show the current *value* of that variable?

No.

> Here's my doc for apropos:
>

> apropos is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `apropos'.
> (apropos APROPOS-REGEXP &optional DO-ALL)
>
> Show all bound symbols whose names match APROPOS-REGEXP.
> With optional prefix DO-ALL or if `apropos-do-all' is non-nil, also
> show unbound symbols and key bindings, which is a little more
> time-consuming.  Returns list of symbols and documentation found.
>

> I set apropos-do-all to 1 and tried it, but got no
> actual *values*.

That is no surprise: apropos-do-all only controls which symbols are
shown, not what information about them is shown.

> [ASIDE: how to (interactively) do M-x apropos with
>   the *prefix* "DO-ALL"?

"With optional prefix" means: C-u M-x apropos

But since you're only interested in variables: C-u M-x apropos-variable

>   or, for that matter, how to write a lisp expr that does it?

(apropos-variable "backup" t)

>  Here's an occur on do-all, for apropos.el:
> Thanks in-advance for the do-all answers]
>

> Back to having apropos also type out the *values* of the
> variables finds?
>
> Any idea?
>
> (Sure would be simpler than having to (1) run apropos,
>   then (2) for each variable found, do C-H v on it!)

In the *Apropos* buffer you can simply click on the symbol, or move
point into its description and type RET.

--
Kevin