Re: Is it possible to use emacsclient as the Gnome system editor?

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Is it possible to use emacsclient as the Gnome system editor?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:53:22 +0100

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

>>> Basically: yes. However with the current emacsclient you have to
>>> start emacs first.

>> Not true.  You can use `-a emacs' in the emacsclient invocation.
[snip!]

> Yes, you are right. However you have also to start emacs server in
> your init files.

That may be a problem for me, I think.  Since my use pattern is to
have multiple emacsen up an running (one for Gnus, and misc stuff, one
for development, and occasionally one running as root, and also
possibly emacsen running on development servers).  I've also
CVS-versioned my home directory, so I have the same setup files
everywhere.

I wonder if there is there some emacs lisp magic for my ~/.emacs, that
could check for a running emacs server, and only start it if one isn't
already running...?

None of the server-* functions seems appropriate for this.  I'm not
sure what the LEAVE-DEAD argument of server-start does?  Is this the
same as what the documentation refers to as the prefix argument?
(well, I'm not sure if I understood what that one did either...:-) )

Thanx!

- Steinar