Re: go into methods shortcut key in emacs

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: go into methods shortcut key in emacs
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:20:37 +0100

Markus Triska <triska@gmx.at> writes:

>> with this example, i would like to select the method callMethod()
>> inside test() method and, by pressing any key (for example, F3), i
>> would like to go into the method. How is this possible in emacs?
>
> It's explained in the chapter "Tags Tables" of the Emacs Info
> manual; briefly, you create a TAGS file ("etags" command) and in
> your buffer, do M-x visit-tags-table. With point at or behind
> ".callMethod", you go to the tag's definition via M-. (find-tag).

Because I am too lazy to learn and try out the TAGS features in Emacs
(I have used Emacs since 1997 and never tried that out...) I use C-s
C-w instead. It might take a few more keystrokes (keep typing C-s to
find the correct place) and it might sometimes find too many
occurances, but it works quite well.