Re: VAX/VMS (was: Re: Debian/GFDL)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: VAX/VMS (was: Re: Debian/GFDL)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:13:30 +0100

On 11/23/06, Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> wrote:

VAX/VMS had a strongly typed file system

This is a feature. As it was its automatic versioning of files.

It also had a really
obscure syntax for file names, using []:. among other special
characters.

Obscure only from another system's mindset. There was nothing obscure
in its filename syntax from my POV.

And a zillion different kind of hardwired interacting
privileges that meant that ordinary users rarely were able to do what
they want, but hackers could do anything as there were always some
obscure path from "may use the printer privilege" to "can overwrite
system files privilege".

As if that didn't ever happen on Unix, did it? :-)

The editors were EDT and later TPU.  They were much better than vi, I
have to give them that.  You can suffer them in Emacs with M-x
edt-emulation-on <ref> or M-x tpu-edt <ret>. (TPU was really a system
for writing editors in).

The usual TPU editor was called EVE (Extensible Vax Editor).

Some people liked VAX/VMS, typically the same who preferred Wirth
Pascal over K&R C.  For the rest of us, Ultrix was a much more
productive environment, once you had installed Emacs in it.

Thought I'm no Pascal freak, about the only language I wouldn't prefer
over K&R C is BASIC...

                   /L/e/k/t/u