Re: What are 'mode' and 'coding'?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: What are 'mode' and 'coding'?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:11:24 +0100

Am 23.11.2006 um 14:31 schrieb Leo:

One can write "-*-mode:emacs-lisp;coding:utf-8;-*-" on the head of a
file to force emacs to use emacs-lisp-mode and utf-8 coding. I am
wondering what are `mode' and `coding'. I use 'C-h v' on them and
there are no such variables.

It's major-mode and buffer-file-coding-system.

--
Greetings

  Pete

There is no national science just as there is no national multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.
                                      -- Anton Checov