Quoting style of arguments etc. [was: multiline regex mode?]

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Quoting style of arguments etc. [was: multiline regex mode?]
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:11:06 +0100

Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

>           So "{[^}]*}" stands for 'a region that starts with `{´ and has no
> `}´ until the final `}´ is hit; between both braces any number (starting
>      with 0) of any character except `}´ can appear.'
>
> I don't quite understand why this should be in an "emacs" FAQ or wiki.  Its
> basic regular expressions.  One such document is here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expressions#Syntax

It's even nearer at hand:
C-h i g "(Emacs)Regexps" or `(Elisp)Regular Expressions'

While we are at it: Is there an accepted quoting style for arguments
etc.?  For example:

1. In the above case expressing the need for pressing keys and
   distinguishing between textual arguments for the minibuffer: "" or
   `' or something else?

2. In the comment string of functions when expressing also key
   bindings and subsequent command names: "Please type `M-x
   function-name'" or "Please type \"M-x function-name\""?

I can't remember there is something in the Elisp manual for coding
conventions.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm