Re: Display corruption with binary files

From: August Karlstrom
Subject: Re: Display corruption with binary files
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:42:39 GMT

August Karlstrom skrev:
Eli Zaretskii skrev:
From: August Karlstrom <fusionfive@comhem.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:05:45 GMT

When I open any binary file with Emacs in console mode (emacs -nw) the display gets corrupted (the menu and parts of the mode line disappears). In GUI mode it works as expected. I use GNU Emacs version 21.4.1 and gnome-terminal 2.16.1 under Ubuntu 6.10.

Any clues?

Try "M-x hexl-find-file RET", it is meant for editing binary files.

Works like a charm.

One thing I've noticed with `hexl-find-file' though is that read-only permission of a file is not respected (I'm able to edit a read-only binary file). This is not the case if I open the file in Emacs with GUI (and run `hexl-mode'). Is this a bug?

August