Re: Some problems configuring emacs

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Some problems configuring emacs
Date: 25 Nov 2006 13:16:12 -0800

Eric Lilja skrev:

> Hello, I mostly use emacs to code in C, C++, Java, bash scrips and SQL.
> My .emacs-file is a mess and I don't understand much of it. In an
> attempt to understand it better I tried to configure some CC Mode
> related things. Here's a snippet from my file:
>
> ; c-mode-common-hook:
> ; Common hook across all languages. It's run immediately
> ; before the language specific hook.
> (defun my-c-mode-common-hook ()
>   ;; my customizations for all of c-mode and related modes
>   ;;(no-case-fold-search)
>   (setq c-basic-offset 3)
>   (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) ; Use spaces, not tabs, for
> indentation.
>   (delete-selection-mode 1) ; Maybe on by default on windows and off by
> default on solaris?
>   )
> (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-c-mode-common-hook)
>
> (defun my-c++-mode-hook ()
>   ; Customizations for C++ mode in CC Mode
>   (delete-selection-mode 1)
>   (set-cursor-color "Red")
>   (setq c-default-style "ellemtel")
>   )
> (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'my-c++-mode-hook)

Think I solved it by changing my-c++-mode-hook to:
(defun my-c++-mode-hook ()
  ; Customizations for C++ mode in CC Mode
  (delete-selection-mode 1)
  (set-cursor-color "Red")
  (c-set-style "ellemtel") ; Default style for c++ is "gnu"
  )
(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'my-c++-mode-hook)

The changes wasn't visible in already opened c++ files even though I
selected byte-compile-and-load. But I restarted emacs it works. Now I
need to figure out
how to change one setting in ellementel mode.

> First I configure some things that should be regardless of CC mode
> language. That seems to work just fine. But I'm having problems with
> my-c++-mode-hook. I try to set c-default-style to ellementel but it
> doesn't seem to work because indentation doesn't behave the same if
> just put (setq c-default-style "ellemtel") alone in the file. What I
> really want to do is use ellementel indentation except for C++ access
> labels. The hook seems to "run" though, becuase the cursor turns red
> (however, it turns red for .c-files too, why?). Is there a better way
> to see if a hook runs and why doesn't it change indentation style? Hope
> I made some sense...
>
> / E

/ E