$EMACS, used to be set to "t", now it's set to the path of the emacs bin

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: $EMACS, used to be set to "t", now it's set to the path of the emacs binary?
Date: 26 Nov 2006 03:05:58 -0800

Hi, I used to have this section in my .bashrc-file:
if [ "$EMACS" == "t" ]
then
    PS1='\n\[\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]\n$ '
fi

in order to get a good looking prompt in shell mode under cygwin
(otherwise it would contain ugly control chars). Now I noticed it
doesn't work anymore and it seems that $EMACS no longer contains t (for
true I guess), but instead it contains the path of the emacs binary
used to start this invocation of emacs. When was this changed?
I changed my .bashrc to if [ "$EMACS" != "" ] and that seems to work.
Is there a better way?

/ E