Re: How to concatenate a backslash to a string

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: How to concatenate a backslash to a string
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:09:38 -0600

On Nov 27, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Mirko wrote:

Hello group.

When in *scratch* I try
(concat "\\" "%")
I get "\\%"

But what I really want is to get "\%".   (I am trying to TeXify some
text and convert %->\%, $->\$, etc).

If I try (concat "\" "%") I get a syntax error because the \ is
escaping the ".

You may be getting what you want. Notice that "\\" in the scratch buffer gives you back "\\" (I'm assuming you are hitting control-J to eval and print the line.

I don't think you can get any string in the scratch buffer to print like you want it. It will always have an even number of \'s when printed.

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems