Re: emacs 22 for AIX

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 22 for AIX
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:49:46 +0100

Am 28.11.2006 um 22:28 schrieb Perry Smith:

Should I use the cvs version or a tar ball?

With CVS you can have every day some work ...

It takes longer to download, but it makes more sense (GNU Emacs has cvs built-in). The sources (C and Elisp and others) change quite often, because it's still a developing software. So updating and re- compiling and re-testing/using every few days makes sense.

There is also a version 23 available, based on Unicode. The Xft branch was integrated into it in summer (offering font anti- aliasing), and recently it learned to use fontsets to become able to display less characters as empty boxes.

For both versions a transparency patch is available that can make GNU Emacs transparent in X11 – if the X server (I think starting with X11R6.8) allows this!

--
Greetings

  Pete

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."