Re: modeline colors

From: Eli Barzilay
Subject: Re: modeline colors
Date: 28 Nov 2006 23:38:16 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > From: Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org>
> > Date: 28 Nov 2006 16:00:04 -0500

> > > M-x customize-face RET mode-line
> >
> > This, as expected, does not solve the problem.
>
> You mean, if you customize the mode-line colors as you wish them to
> be, then save the customizations for the future sessions, and
> restart Emacs, the mode line again comes up with default colors?

Only when I do it as in the above -- with setting the default face
background.  Removing that work, and like I said -- doing the second
setting after Emacs starts works.

> I can understand why set-face-background doesn't work in your
> .emacs: when Emacs processes those lines, the modeline face does not
> yet exist; you could fix that by, e.g., creating it with make-face.
> But saving customizations with M-x customize should solve that
> problem (in a different way), so I'm puzzled by ``does not solve the
> problem''.

I don't think that this is the problem.  Actually I noticed something
else -- I'm using Emacs both on the console (in a plain X session) and
from VNC: the problem is on the console, but in VNC it works fine
(using just these two lines as a minimal example).