Re: Add abbrev to default ones

From: Sebastian Schubert
Subject: Re: Add abbrev to default ones
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:21:08 +0100

Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> Sebastian Schubert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any variable which says that the abbrevs in
>> .abbrev_defs should be
>> added to the default ones?  I wanted to add one in f90 mode.
>> That worked but removed the standard ones after a restart.
>> Hope I did enough rtfm,
>> thx
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> What means `default' here? AFAIS exist mode-abbrev-tables
> and a global-abbrev-table.

I meant the local one.

> What you describe should not happen. However,
> encountered it too, without beeing able to locate the
> reasons.
>
> Seems if, while closing Emacs the question `save
> abbrevs` is answered `yes` sometimes only the mode
> abbrevs are saved, the rest deleted.

This not exactly my problem (did not try what you said).  Here is what I
did:

M-x f90-mode
M-x list-abbrevs
,----[ part of (f90-mode-abbrev-table), everything (sys) ]
| "`ab" (sys)       0 "allocatable"
| "`al" (sys)       0 "allocate"
| "`as" (sys)       0 "assignment"
| "`ba" (sys)       0 "backspace"
| "`bd" (sys)       0 "block data"
| "`tr" (sys)       0 ".true."
| "`wh" (sys)       0 "where"
| "`wr" (sys)       0 "write"
`----
M-x define-mode-abbrev RET `wrs RET write (*,*) RET
M-x list-abbrevs
,----[ part of (f90-mode-abbrev-table), everything (sys) ]
| "`ab" (sys)       0 "allocatable"
| "`al" (sys)       0 "allocate"
| "`as" (sys)       0 "assignment"
| "`ba" (sys)       0 "backspace"
| "`bd" (sys)       0 "block data"
| "`tr" (sys)       0 ".true."
| "`wh" (sys)       0 "where"
| "`wr" (sys)       0 "write"
| "`wrs"               0    "write (*,*)"
`----

Now I can do a

M-x write-abbrev-file ~/.abbrev_defs

or

C-x C-c "question to save ~/.abbrev_defs" y

and I get after restart:

M-x list-abbrevs
,----[ (f90-mode-abbrev-table) ]
| "`wrs"               0    "write (*,*)"