Re: background-image in emacs

From: Christopher Kuettner
Subject: Re: background-image in emacs
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:01:43 +0100

Mathias Dahl wrote:
M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> writes:

at the moemnt I'm using xemacs, and I have a background-image, which
improves usability (in my opinion). Is there a way to get this
appearance in emacs too?

(see: http://www.forwiss.uni-passau.de/~berberic/xemacs-bg.png)

newest research from the orgmode mailinglist:

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> > I'd like to color the headings in outline, so that the headings have a
> > distinct background color which spans horizontally across the visible
> > window.
>
> This reminds me a bit of hl-line-mode.

I took a look at hl-line-mode implementation and the solution is very
simple. It puts an overlay onto the whole line including the newline
character (note the 1+):

      (move-overlay hl-line-overlay
                    (line-beginning-position) (1+ (line-end-position))
                    (current-buffer)))))

I also tried it with text properties and it works the same way:

   (put-text-property (line-beginning-position) (+ 1
(line-end-position))
                     'face 'highlight)

I thought I finally found something which emacs couldn't do, but I was
wrong. Emacs cannot be beaten. :)

The name of the thread is "Re: Coloring window parts without content" if you want to search the archives.

  <> Christopher