Re: No User Shell Envir in Emacs via SSH

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: No User Shell Envir in Emacs via SSH
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:31:29 -0800

    Sitting at home, I enter this into KDE's "Run Command..."
    (Kubuntu) to "map" an X11/Emacs session running on my office
    machine onto my home machine's monitor:

          +----------------------------+ | Command: ssh office emacs |
          +----------------------------+

    The window appears on my home machine as expected and works fine.

    The problem, however, is that my office machine's "bash
    environment" isn't included/defined within Emacs.  Apparently, the
    only environmental variables defined are those from a system-wide
    Bash init file (e.g.  DISPLAY, HOME, LANG, MAIL, PATH, etc.).

    Does anyone know what I need to do so that the "exported
    variables" (i.e., environment) defined in my ".bashrc" are also
    present?

I've never found a good solution for this.

What I'm using now is an astonishingly ugly Rube Goldberg type hack,
whereby my .bashrc runs a _perl_ program that creates files with
environment variable definitions -- one for the Bourne shell, and one
for emacs -- and then my .bash_profile sources the shell file, and I
have Emacs load the emacs file.

It works, but it makes the Baby Jesus cry.  Details upon request.

--
Software is largely a service industry operating under the
persistent but unfounded delusion that it is a manufacturing