Re: Emacs Keyboard Map

From: Sami BEN GRINE
Subject: Re: Emacs Keyboard Map
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:04:01 -0800

The typical comments I had so far are:
* "this is cool, I want to use emacs!" :)
* "this would be even better if it was in Emacs"
* "why not generate it?" (users are likely to have custom bindings)

If you think about it, the bindings are simply sorted and grouped using the last letter of the key (whereas usually, key-binding references tend to group things by functional areas). The first thing to do for an automatic generation would be to do that sorting and grouping.

I want to do it well for Emacs first. I also thought about some other applications (operating systems, office applications, ...). This could be more dynamic as well and be updated when the context of your application changes.

I will write a blog somewhere to put more information about all that.

thanks for your comments