Re: remove extra whitespace on a line

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 09:26:57 -0600

One method not mentioned:

Highlight line
Menu bar > Edit > Fill

"Perry Smith" <pedz@easesoftware.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1429.1165067469.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
On Dec 2, 2006, at 1:02 AM, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

    Suppose     I    have   a   line  like   this.
    How can I remove the extra spaces from the line?  So that I end up
with
    this:

    Suppose I have a line like this.

    Exactly like fill-paragraph, but I do not want to "fill" the
paragraph,
    only the current line.  Is there an Emacs function to do this?

Not that I know of, but it'd be very easy to create one with a macro,
or Emacs Lisp.

Just narrow to the line, then fill paragraph.

There is a fill-region-as-paragraph command.  check it out.  The key
sequence
would be to go to the beginning of the line, mark, go to the end of the
line, then
fill-region-as-paragraph.

Also, its quicker for you to type ^h a fill (apropos fill) and scan the
results.

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems