Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22
Date: 6 Dec 2006 10:12:05 -0800

spamfilteraccount@gmail.com wrote:
> I just checked in cvs
> (http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/lisp/font-lock.el?rev=1.308&root=emacs&view=auto)
> that font-lock-support-mode is still 'jit-lock-mode in emacs 22.
>
> Is this still necessary? I mean we have pretty fast machines in these
> days, so couldn't emacs perform the fontification in realtime? Did the
> subject come up on emacs-devel during development of emacs 22?

Incremental syntax highlighting is always useful, because it allows
ever bigger files to be opened.  At present I experience pauses
fontifying say ~300kb files.  It would be nice if with faster machines
this didn't happen.  Doing it in realtime would prevent this from
happening.  It would also prevent using more sophisticated regexp, at
present many modes optimize their regexp for speed.

I think the problem you're experiencing it your code is caused because
it does things in a rather unusual way.