Re: State-machine based syntax highlighting

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: State-machine based syntax highlighting
Date: 7 Dec 2006 09:02:12 -0800

Robert Thorpe wrote:

> > I did a quick search and found this page
> >
> > http://harmonia.cs.berkeley.edu/harmonia/projects/harmonia-mode/doc/index.html
> >
> > with a demo xemacs package with syntax highlighting and stuff. Looked
> > interesting.
>
> Interesting.

I wondered why they supported xemacs only, so I downloaded the source.
Seems they wrote xemacs extensions in c which have to be compiled into
xemacs.

Not a usual way to extend an emacs, but probably advantageous from a
performance point of view.

The idea already occured to me that font locking should be implemented
in pure c in emacs for speed, but I guess it's kind of against the
extensible editor concept or something.