Re: font-lock in rexx-mode

From: Bob Babcock
Subject: Re: font-lock in rexx-mode
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:04:23 -0800

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in
jwv8xhhg6m1.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org:">news:jwv8xhhg6m1.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org:

> So if in Rexx a \ should not escape the
> next char, the syntax-table should be changed.
> Currently rexx-mode.el does:
>
>   (modify-syntax-entry ?\\ "\\" rexx-mode-syntax-table)
>
> which as that \ should be treated as an escape char.  So either this
> line is in error, or the \ should sometimes be treated as an escape
> char and sometimes not.  I don't know anything about the syntax of
> Rexx, so I have no idea when \ escapes and when it doesn't.  E.g. how
> do you escape a " inside a string in Rexx?

Thanks for the response.  I don't understand why, but commenting out the
above line and restarting emacs doesn't change the behavior.  (I do not
have a rexx-mode.elc.  If I start emacs with --no-init-file, rexx-mode is
not recognized.)

Backslash is never an escape in Rexx.  Rexx allows either single or double
quotes to delimit a string, so '"' would be a double quote.  A string
containing both kinds of quote could be built by concatenation.