goto-char with set-buffer operations take only effect when buffer is not

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: goto-char with set-buffer operations take only effect when buffer is not visible!
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 20:32:52 +0100

Hi

I catch the output from a program which runs under `start-process' in
a buffer called *Ansys*.  I'd like to have that the buffer scrolls
always to the end of the latest output (like tail -f).  This works
automatically when the cursor in this buffer is below the current
output.  Then I can work in a certain buffer and see the output scroll
by in the neighbouring *Ansys* buffer.

Unfortunately when the process is created the cursor is not at the end
of the output but remains at (point-min).  So I wrote this snippet:

  (let ((cb (buffer-name)))
    (set-buffer "*Ansys*")             ;make buffer scroll with output
    (goto-char (point-max))
    (set-buffer cb))

To my astonishment this works only when the buffer *Ansys* is not
visible!  When the buffer is visible and I call this snippet in
another one the cursor in *Ansys* won't budge a single character.

This seems like a bug to me, isn't it?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm