Re: I feel strange after several days of using emacs

From: John Halton
Subject: Re: I feel strange after several days of using emacs
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:43:27 +0000

On 12/10/06, Ronald <followait@163.com> wrote:
When I edit in a editor other than emacs, I will typed the hotkeys in
emacs automatically. For example, when I'm write this email in
thunderbird, I typed C-b C-j etc. Then I will think to choose to write
email in emacs, and at last do everything that need editing in emacs, or
typing mistake occurs time by time. But emacs can't do everything
properly. So I'm thinking whether I should quit. But vim has the same
problem, and others are not so convenient for programming... It's hard
to choose. Who can give me any suggestion?

Perhaps it's just a case of persevering. At first, I found the Emacs
keybindings very strange and hard to get to grips with, but over time
I've got used to switching between "desktop"-style keybindings (Ctrl-X
to "cut", etc.) and Emacs keybindings. While your brain is still
adjusting, moving between the two is hard. Once both are second
nature, the switch will be easier.

It's like a child growing up in a bilingual household - at first they
get the languages muddled up, and say things that combine both
languages. Before long, however, they are fluent in both languages,
while confusing neither.

John