Re: How to get rid of stock (standard) speedbar if do not have root acce

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How to get rid of stock (standard) speedbar if do not have root access?
Date: 14 Dec 2006 05:41:26 -0800

Ken Goldman wrote:
> christopherbalz wrote:
> > I'm running the latest speedbar, as required by the Java Dev
> > Environment for Emacs, so I need (per the instructions) to delete the
> > stock speedbar.  But, as with many users, I am working in an
> > environment where I do not have root access.  So I can't delete the old
> > speedbar.
> >
> > Is there a way to get rid of the stock speedbar without having to copy
> > over the entire install dir on the system to my local account and
> > redirect Emacs on startup completely to that?  For example, is there a
> > way to manipulate the load path to avoid just the old speedbar, and
> > leave the other loading unchanged?
>
> I'm using emacs 21.3 on a managed system.
>
> I find that if I put my local .el file directory in load-path ahead of
> the system version, it uses mine.  So I don't delete old ones.  I just
> install new ones in my local .el directory.

This mostly works, there are some gotchas though.  Defvar does not
change the value of variables that are already defined.   So if an old
version of Foo.el sets up variables in a particular way, then when you
load the new version those variables will be set the same way they were
in the old version.  Using "unload" too is safer.