Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
Date: 15 Dec 2006 08:26:55 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> > Date: 15 Dec 2006 06:32:43 -0800

> > > ??? But Pawel explicitly shows (above) that he does have the GNU Libc
> > > manual installed on his system.
> >
> > Not necessarily.  There are at least two libc manuals in info format,
> > the GNUlibc one and the Redhat Cygwin one.  That manual also doesn't
> > work with C-h C-i.
>
> But look above: the DIR entry clearly shows it's the GNU Libc.

I can't tell from the DIR entry alone, maybe you can.  On a Cygwin
system for example, that line reads:-
* libc: (libc).                   The ANSI C library.

>  And
> "C-h i" does work with it, as Pawel said.
>
> Anyway, I don't understand how can the Cygwin version not work.  Emacs
> doesn't assume anything about the libc manual, all it needs is the
> index.  Are you saying that the Cygwin version of libc docs doesn't
> have an index?  If so, it's not the GNU Libc manual.  (IIRC, Cygwin
> uses newlib, not glibc.)

Well I've just run Emacs21 on a Windows machine with Cygwin.  C-h i
gives the info page for the newlib C library.  C-h C-i does not work
though, I don't know why.

> > >  What other dependency on GNU Libc
> > > could possibly defeat this feature on his system?
> >
> > The dir file could contain the entry, but there could be no info file.
>
> Again, read the original message above: Pawel says that he verified
> that he did found the memset description via "C-h i".  So I think
> there's nothing wrong with his manual.

Good point.  I don't know what's wrong.