Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:56:52 +0200

> From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> Date: 15 Dec 2006 08:26:55 -0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> > > Date: 15 Dec 2006 06:32:43 -0800

> > [...]
> > But look above: the DIR entry clearly shows it's the GNU Libc.
>
> I can't tell from the DIR entry alone, maybe you can.  On a Cygwin
> system for example, that line reads:-
> * libc: (libc).                   The ANSI C library.

Exactly.  The "* Libc: (libc).                 C Library" entry is
from GNU Libc, while the Cygwin library has a different entry.

> Well I've just run Emacs21 on a Windows machine with Cygwin.  C-h i
> gives the info page for the newlib C library.  C-h C-i does not work
> though, I don't know why.

Does the Cygwin libc manual have an index?  Are there any error
messages from Emacs?

> > > The dir file could contain the entry, but there could be no info file.
> >
> > Again, read the original message above: Pawel says that he verified
> > that he did found the memset description via "C-h i".  So I think
> > there's nothing wrong with his manual.
>
> Good point.  I don't know what's wrong.

I think nothing's wrong with the manual.  I cannot get Emacs 21.4 to
DTRT with "C-h C-i" on my machine as well, although I _know_ the glibc
manual is installed and reachable.  So I think this is a bug in Emacs
21.x that is fixed in Emacs 22.