Re: emacs22 takes too much memory

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs22 takes too much memory
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:11:30 +0100

From: Peter Dyballa <Peter.Dyballa@Web.DE>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:01:06 +0100
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Am 17.12.2006 um 18:11 schrieb Ronald:

130MB

You have the wrong OS. 70 MB on Mac OS X.

I don't think it is normal for Emacs to take 130MB on _any_ supported
OS, no matter if it's right or wrong.

Actually I think both numbers are incorrect – or is top able to count exactly the used functions from some open and shared library? GNU Emacs 22.0.91's private memory use is around 24 MB, 48 MB is virtual memory, 8 MB are shared with other processes (shell?), and almost 30 MB are physical RAM.

Making any Emacs use GTK makes it a memory hog: ¼ GB seems possible ...

I already receive enough spam – nevertheless, Eli, could you make your eMail client hide eMail addresses?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Time flies like an error -- but fruit flies like a banana!
                             (almost Groucho Marx)