Re: Building a database interface in Emacs

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Re: Building a database interface in Emacs
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:42:21 +0100

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

> jason haslup <jason@haslup.com> writes:
>
>>> Is there any smarter way of doing it?
>>
>> I did something using comint's filter functions, but it requires
>> having a *SQL* buffer open to the database you're interested in:
>>
>>   http://www.haslup.com/index.cgi/emacs/2006/12/20/
>
> Nice! There are probably some ideas worth checking up in there.
>
>> I'm not too familiar with sqlplus, but I know the mysql client has a
>> raw mode and also an XML mode for queries that might help in looking
>> for the end of a query's results.
>
> Yes, sqlplus has an option to output things as HTML. That might makes
> things easier to parse as well as easier to see when the output is
> done.
>
>> Or, if sqlplus doesn't work, I wonder if a simple helper client
>> using oracle's libraries would be something you could use with
>> start-process.
>
> Yes, using OCI would be the best I guess, but I am too lazy and do not
> have experience fiddling with that.
>
> My experiements are working OK, now I just have to figure out what the
> heck I *really* want to use it for... :)

Create a simple customer loyalty interface : have a product table, a
customer table and a purchase history table and log the purchases over a
session and over a period. If you get anywhere with it, I would be
interested in collaberating. I was kind of thinking of doing something
similar to provide a simple text interface on a small monitor for a
friends shop.