Re: Ctrl-Y is pasting from the clipboard

From: Dan Bensen
Subject: Re: Ctrl-Y is pasting from the clipboard
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 23:26:14 -0600

| I can copy text from Firefox or a pdf file and paste it into emacs
| with either Ctrl-y or Ctrl-x c y.  I thought the emacs kill ring was
| different from the X clipboard.

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
window) you will find that yank calls current-kill to get what it is
yanking, and current-kill in its turn will funcall
interprogram-paste-function, which is a variable that typically (on X)
has the value x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value.  And that function is
described as follows in x-win.el:
;;; Return the value of the current X selection.

In summary, if you set interprogram-paste-function to nil then I think
you have completely severed the connection between the kill ring and
the X selection, and then you will always have to make a conscious
choice between the two. But that seems to be what you want.

Just to be clear, I don't particularly care. I'm mostly just wondering why the behavior mysteriously changed. But your answer sounds like they should have been the same all along. They weren't. At first, Ctrl-y wasn't copying from X. That's the whole reason I started using the other functions in the first place. It sounds like maybe something changed interprogram-paste-function.

--
Dan
www.prairienet.org/~dsb