Re: gnu vs. xemacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: gnu vs. xemacs
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:27:24 +1100

Ramprasad <ramprasad@gnu.org> writes:

> On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 19:29, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
>
>> years and I was looking for a Linux editor as powerful as WinEdt which
>
> It's GNU/Linux system.
>
> Please read
>
> * http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html
>
> * http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

You don't think your being a bit pedantic do you? After all, Linux is
what GNU/Linux is commonly called. You also have lots of other
references out there which don't include the "GNU" part, such as The
Linux Journal, the Linux Gazette, Linux Weekly news,
linuxquestions.org, linuxkernel.org, etc etc.

At least if your going to take the time to post a response, maybe add
something for the OP in addition to correcting his colloquial use of
Linux rather than the technically correct one.

To the OP, my preferred editor is GNU Emacs rather than Xemacs because
not all the packages I want to use are supported by Xemacs. In
particular, there are some differences I've come across in the way
that font locking is handled and some of the packages I use regularly
don't work under Xemacs. I've also written a few of my own simple
elisp packages and really couldn't be bothered adding a heap of code
which checks to see which version you are running under and then take
appropriate action to handle diffeences in functions or the arguments
they take etc. I've also found the default settings in GNU Emacs to be
more in line with what I expect/want.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au