Re: enable-local-variables

From: Eric Twietmeyer
Subject: Re: enable-local-variables
Date: 1 Jan 2007 14:21:55 -0800

Leo wrote:
> * Eric Twietmeyer (2007-01-01 12:04 -0800) said:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just upgraded to emacs 22.0.92.1.  I write C++ code and there is a
> > local variable "typedefs" that is used for syntax highlighting.  Now
> > that I have upgraded I find that every buffer I open that has this
> > local variable "typedefs" in it I am presented with a dialog asking
> > that I confirm that the local variable is "safe".
>
> If you answer '!', it will be saved to your custom file.
>
> --
> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

I have done this of course, but it didn't seem to do anything.  When I
closed emacs and then restarted (I use the .emacs.desktop file to save
state), all of the same visited files resulted in the same question.
Since I keep many dozens of open files at a time, this means hitting
"!" several dozen times each time I start emacs.  Even if this were
working correctly (which custom file should it be creating?), I fear
that the overhead of parsing this each time I visit a buffer would lead
to high overhead.

Anyway, there is never a need to query about this "typedefs" local
variable.  It is always safe, regardless of its value.

Thanks,

-Eric Twietmeyer