Re: dedicated frames

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: dedicated frames
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 07:40:21 -0700

rgb wrote:
Has someone written a version of next-buffer that doesn't
display buffers that are already displayed in dedicated frames?

It appears to me to be terribly difficult to tell if a given buffer
happens to be associated with a dedicated window or frame.

How about:

(defun get-buffer-dedicated-window (buffer &optional all-frames)
  "Return a dedicated window displaying BUFFER, or nil if none.
BUFFER can be a buffer or a buffer name.
ALL-FRAMES determines which frames are considered; see `walk-windows'."
  (catch 'window
    (mapc (lambda (window)
            (when (or (window-dedicated-p window)
                      (frame-parameter (window-frame window) 'unsplittable))
              (throw 'window window)))
          (get-buffer-window-list buffer nil all-frames))
    nil))

I'm not sure how to plug that in to next-buffer -- maybe like this:

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist
             '(buffer-predicate . (lambda (buffer)
                                    (null
                                     (get-buffer-dedicated-window buffer)))))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA