Re: german quotes and mule

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: german quotes and mule
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:08:25 +0100

On Mon, Jan 08 2007, M G Berberich wrote:

> Emacs does not use the existing glyphs from the normal font but
> substitutes some from other fonts, that are far too big and too
> wide.
[...]
> (please see <http://www.forwiss.uni-passau.de/~berberic/emacs-utf-8.png>)

Show us the output of M-x describe-cahr RET on both, the correct and
"too big" characters.

Do the chars show up nicely if you start Emacs with...
  emacs -Q -font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14*-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1"
... (or similar).  (This should work for Emacs <= 22, not sure about 23.)

> I'm using emacs-snapshot from 20061106
>   GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1

Please don't ask about unreleased version on comp.emacs or
gnu.emacs.help.  Follow the advice in INSTALL.CVS instead:

,----[ INSTALL.CVS ]
`----

> btw: Why is conversion to unicode so slow/difficult for emacsen?

I don't know about the implementation side, but as a user I don't have
any problems WRT unicode on Emacs 22 (CVS, pretest).  Emacs 23
(unicode branch) uses Unicode internally, so it's Unicode support
should be improved further compared to 22.  (The unicode branch will
become the trunk after Emacs is released.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)