Re: What's wrong with this seemingly simple function for unwrapping text

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this seemingly simple function for unwrapping text?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:01:03 -0600

"Endless Story" <usable.thought@gmail.com> wrote in message
1168599607.154137.166990@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com">news:1168599607.154137.166990@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I like autofill mode, but it has one disadvantage: the filled lines
> require unfilling if I want to copy the text over into a Word
> processor, e.g. Word or OpenOffice. This can be rather tedious, so I
> thought I would write a simple function and put it in my .init file to
> make everything easy:
>
> (defun unwrap-text ()
>   (interactive)
>   (setq fill-column 5000)
>   (mark-whole-buffer)
>   (fill-region)
>   (setq fill-column '70)
> )
>
> When the function gets to fill-region, it bombs out, complaining about
> 'wrong number of variables.'  So my questions are:
>
> 1) For any lisp experts, what's going wrong here?
> 2) Is there some built-in way for doing what I want to do?

Tassilo already fixed your problem but here are two more, in case you
might not always want to affect the whole buffer:

(defun unfill-paragraph ()   "Do the opposite of fill-paragraph; stuff all
lines in the current paragraph into a single long line."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fill-column 90002000))
    (fill-paragraph nil)))

(defun unfill-region ()   "Do the opposite of fill-region; stuff all
paragraphs in the current region into long lines."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fill-column 90002000))
    (fill-region (point) (mark))))

Ed