Re: MY window tree!

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: MY window tree!
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:33:52 +0100

> But there is one thing I do not understand. "Collected" above is that
> garbage collected? Do you mean that the window object is available and
> not garbage collected until some time after all elisp pointers to it are
> gone?

As long as I have a pointer to it the window object should be available,
otherwise the pointer would dangle.  That is, the collector should not
be allowed to reclaim that window object.

> How does window-live-p fit into this? The doc string a bit cryptic says
>
>   Returns t if object is a window which is currently visible.
>
> Is an invisible window object a window that has elisp pointers to it,
> but is not on any frame? (And can never more be on any fram AFAIU.)

I think a window is live as long as it has an associated buffer.  After
a window has lost its buffer it's still a window but it cannot be on a
frame any more.