Re: recentf-mode works 'by hand' but not if started from .emacs

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: Re: recentf-mode works 'by hand' but not if started from .emacs
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:40:14 -0500

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:41:00 -0500, Roland Rau wrote:

> Greg Bognar wrote:
>>
>> I have this:
>>
>> (recentf-mode 1)
>> (setq recentf-save-file "~/.Emacs/.recentfiles"
>>       recentf-max-menu-items 18
>>       recentf-menu-filter 'recentf-show-basenames-ascending)
>> (load recentf-save-file)
>>
>> ... and it works perfectly.
>>

> Thanks, surprisingly the behavior of 'my' emacs did not change. :-(
>
> I thought the simplest solution is to do a global keymapping:
> (global-set-key [f8] 'recentf-mode)

I am a bit confused.  Here's an excerpt from recentf.el:

;;; recentf.el --- setup a menu of recently opened files
[...]
;;; Commentary:

;; This package maintains a menu for visiting files that were operated
;; on recently.  When enabled a new "Open Recent" sub menu is
;; displayed in the "Files" menu.
[...]

Why do you want to bind it to any key?  You should just put the code in
your .emacs, and use the submenu of the file menu to open recent files.
Does that work?