Re: Using bash aliases with auctex

From: Daniel
Subject: Re: Using bash aliases with auctex
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:39:33 +0100

Martin wrote:

On Jan 17, 10:40 am, "Martin" <lovesl...@frustratedhousewives.zzn.com>
wrote:
I'm having problems getting emacs to use my bash aliases. Specifically,
when running auctex's view command on a latex buffer, xdvi gets called
with default arguments, instead of my xdvi alias that all bash shells
use.

I now use .Xresources settings to get xdvi to behave like I want, so
the original problem is solved. It would still be interesting to know
how emacs reads aliases, though.

Hi Martin,

I don't think it's Emacs' fault at all. If started non-interactively, bash doesn't do any alias expansion. I believe you could try bash-functions instead (better than aliases anyway) or maybe call bash with the -i switch.

Have fun
----Daniel