Re: Customizing coding priority

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Customizing coding priority
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:36:23 +0200

> From: Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@relwi.unibe.ch>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:12:48 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>  > You didn't answer my first question: how these umlauts were produced.
>  > Did you copy them from another text, perhaps?  And how is the way you
>  > produced those umlauts differs from the way you type the
>  > latin-iso8859-1 characters after the quotation?
>
> I hope I get your question right. The umlauts that are encoded in
> iso-8859-15 appear in the mail by executing the function
> vm-reply-include-text. It is bound to the R-key when in an
> Mailbox-Summary buffer in vm. It sets up an answer to the email under
> the point citing the content of the original. The cited text keeps
> umlauts encoded in iso-8859-15.

Yes, this answers my question.  I understand that these characters
come from the mail to which you reply.

> Anyway, what Peter and Tom remark sounds strange. There must be some
> difference in the umlauts of the two coding systems, at least for
> Emacs. Because the iso-8859-15 umlauts of the cited text alway look
> different from the ones I type in iso-8859-1. The former are displayed
> in another font.

Do you have something related in your ~/.emacs init file?  Does this
problem go away if you invoke Emacs with "emacs -q --no-site-file"?
(If doing so prevents you from using VM, then leave only the
VM-related customizations on .emacs and comment out everything else.)

> Eli, do you think the problem wouldn't exist in Emacs 22?

I don't know.  I need to understand your problem first.  But if it's
easy for you to try Emacs 22, I recommend doing so.