Re: umlaut keys don't work in emacs but do in other x apps

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: umlaut keys don't work in emacs but do in other x apps
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:03:29 +0100

Am 22.01.2007 um 16:24 schrieb josh:

I'm confused here because the locale output I posted showed that these
variables are set:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"

or what do you mean?

On the command line: env | egrep 'LC|LANG'

Have you checked whether the X server and GNU Emacs use the same X
libraries?

you mean like with ldd? I can do this (see below) and their share some
libraries, but I don't know how this helps. Can you clue me in?

One imagine that tool a uses X11R7.1 and tool b uses X11R6 ... but this does not seem to be the case here!

There is one more thing: what is put into the *mail* buffer when you choose 'Send Bug Report…' from the Help menu? It reveals the configure options. Do they look right?

Since I am still bound to X11R6 on my Mac I have no real idea of the cause that XLookupString returns 0. The programme xmodmap can print the key bindings in X:

        xmodmap -pk

Are the umlauts and ß mentioned in first and second column like some 7 bit characters? Or do they need modifiers? My X server tells me:

35 0x00df (ssharp) 0x003f (question) 0x00bf (questiondown) 0x01ff (abovedot) 41 0x00fc (udiaeresis) 0x00dc (Udiaeresis) 0x0ae6 (enfilledcircbullet) 0x00b0 (degree) 47 0x00e4 (adiaeresis) 0x00c4 (Adiaeresis) 0x00e6 (ae) 0x00c6 (AE) 49 0x00f6 (odiaeresis) 0x00d6 (Odiaeresis) 0x13bd (oe) 0x13bc (OE)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Mac OS X is like a wigwam: no fences, no gates, but an apache inside.