emacs and PuTTY

From: John Oliver
Subject: emacs and PuTTY
Date: 22 Jan 2007 19:57:24 GMT

We have several users who SSH to a server with PuTTY and run emacs
there.  Unfortunately, there seems to be some issue with PuTTYs terminal
emulation and emacs (emacs-21.3-4.10 on RHEL 4) which makes the cursor
jump around and do some weird things like that.  They tell me that
hitting Control-L "fixes" it for a minute or two, but it'll start
happening again.  I've gotten around this for some people by installing
CygWin and exporting the display to their machine, so they can run
Xemacs.  But some people just want to stick with CLI.  One user uses
Tera Term Pro, and is happy with its' terminal emulation, but TTP is an
ancient program that doesn't even support SSH... he uses it to telnet to
one ancient server, and from there SSH to the live machine :-)  I know
about TTSSH, but that isn't the answer I'm looking for ;-)

How can I get PuTTY and emacs to be happy with each other?  Please note,
I'm one of those crazy vi people... I don't know anything about emacs.
If the answer is in some emacs settings, I could use more handholding
than "Just do the XYZ function!" :-)

--
* John Oliver                              http://www.john-oliver.net/ *