Re: Does grep work in Windows

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Re: Does grep work in Windows
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:28:42 +0000

Chris,

Thanks for the  reply.

I have installed the GNUWin32 version of Grep

I assume this should work with Emacs :-(

On 23/01/07, Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net> wrote:
"Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> In emacs 22 on windows should grep work?
> I am typing m-x grep which opens a line in the mini buffer that says
> Run grep (like this): grep -n
> and a message saying:  Grep started at Tue Jan 23 21:19:22
> I then add, as shown in the grepmode wiki the following to the mini buffer
> -e setq ~/.emacs
> giving me a full line in the minibuffer of
> Run grep (like this): grep -n -e setq ~/.emacs
> hit return and get a message that says
> 'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong.
> Many thanks,
>
> Graham

Grep is not a native program with windows.

I installed the cygwin unix environment on my xp machine, and have
been successfully using the grep command from there for some time.

www.cygwin.com

- Chris McMahan

--
     (.   .)