Re: Does grep work in Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Does grep work in Windows
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 06:12:43 +0200

> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:27:35 +0000
> From: "Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com>
>
> I have installed Grep from the gnuwin32 web site and "now" added it to the
> PATH environmental variable. Same error.

Did you restart Emacs after installing Grep?  Emacs won't notice any
changes to PATH while it (Emacs) is running.

If you did restart Emacs, please make sure that you modified PATH
correctly, i.e. in a way that will be in effect for all programs,
including Emacs.  In practice, this means you should modify PATH via
Control Panel, not in the shell window.

> grep -n -e setq ~/.emacs NUL
> 'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

This error message says that the OS cannot find grep.exe.  You need to
find out why.  Something in the way you installed Grep is not right.