Re: handling parenthesis and quotes

From: Adam
Subject: Re: handling parenthesis and quotes
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:32:02 +1300

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
>
> |> From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
> |> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:24:51 +0100
> |> |

> |> Much easier to use the single quote for the shell command.
> |
> | But double quotes are more portable, as the Windows shells support
> | them, but don't support '...' quoting.
>
> Oh.  I didn't know that.  But single quotes are more portable, as es
> and rc both support them, but not "...".
>
> Er, never mind.
>
> Oh, but I am confused now, because shell doesn't even take a command
> as an argument.  Did the OP mean shell-command?  And *that* isn't
> really portable either, if you wish to obsess about it, because (a) by
> default it uses the user's login shell, and (b) as you pointed out,
> different OSes have different kinds of shells anyhow.
>
> In summary, if you wish to use shell-command portably on unix you need
> to wrap (let ((explicit-shell-file-name "/bin/sh")) ...) around it.
>
> (Disclaimer:  I use a CVS emacs, so that variable may not be available
> on older emacsen for all I know.)

Thanks for your interest.  And the Windows or more
general non-portable case is interesting.

No - I just wanted a grepped list to pop up
in my Emacs Slime *inferior-lisp* buffer, my
user login shell works fine for this.

A related newbie question might be, is this the
usual approach for 'incremental programming' by
Lisp users ?  That is; write a function,
then append that function to a file of work
with append-to-file ?

This creates a file of functions that need
to be listed from time to time. The grep thing
works well for now.

Perhaps that file will become a package for
slime-set-package  slime-profile-package
or preferably something more Emacs native.

Am I on track with my understanding of this
so far as 'incremental programming'?