Re: Local variables not being defined

From: ken
Subject: Re: Local variables not being defined
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:08:50 -0500

On 01/25/2007 04:45 PM somebody named ken wrote:
> On 01/25/2007 03:25 PM somebody named Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>> + ken <gebser@speakeasy.net>:
>>
>> | File local-variables error: (error "Local variables entry is missing the
>> | prefix")
>> |
>> | So what does this error message mean and/or what should I do about it?
>>
>> See the info file about file variables: Every line of the Variables
>> section must have the exact same prefix, which may be empty.  This
>> appears to be the case with your example.  Or did some lines have
>> initial spaces or tabs that your news posting software suppressed?
>> If so, get rid of them.
>>

> That can't be the problem as the "prefix" is and has always been the
> same for all lines-- nothing at all.  I.e., all lines start to the far
> left... in the very first column.
>
> Again:
>
> <!--
> Local variables:
> html-helper-timestamp-end: "hhmts end"
> html-helper-timestamp-start: "hhmts start"
> End:
> -->

Even goofier...

Trying something else, I deleted all those six lines and made this the
first line in the file (note that it might wrap in your mail client):

<!-- -*- mode: html-helper-mode; html-helper-timestamp-end: "hhmts end";
 html-helper-timestamp-start: "hhmts start"; -*- -->

as per "info emacs".  Did C-x C-v to reload the file, did C-h v and got
the same error message (about a "missing prefix").

emacs-version: GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i586-suse-linux, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars) of 2005-03-22 on lorien

(YYY,YSU)

tnx