Re: UK date format in Dired

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Re: UK date format in Dired
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:40:44 +0000

Tim,

Thanks for this, I don't know which version of ls I am using, but I am running emacsW32, and maybe this has modified some aspect of this. I have now asked across on its support forum about it.

The "setq" code suggested in the help doesn't make any difference :-(

Indeed, although its a bit confusing with recent files, I think I might just stick with the ISO date format, and come back to this when I know more about emacs.

Thanks again for your help.

Graham

On 27/01/07, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
"Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to get Dired to show dates in UK format.  I have added a line to
> .emacs to show the diary dates in European format, but cannot find any instructions
> to change the format in Dired.

This probably depends on whether your using the elisp version of ls or the ls
that is installed on your system (the one which would be called in a shell).

If your using the elisp ls emulation, check out ls-lisp-format-time-list. I use
the ls-lisp function rather than the native ls program because I also like
dired to list directories first.

,----[ C-h v ls-lisp-format-time-list RET ]
| ls-lisp-format-time-list is a variable defined in `ls- lisp.el'.
| Its value is
| ("%b %e %H:%M" "%b %e  %Y")
|

| Documentation:
| *List of `format-time-string' specs to display file time stamps.
| They are used whenever a locale is not specified to use instead.
|
| Syntax:  (EARLY-TIME-FORMAT OLD-TIME-FORMAT)
|
| The EARLY-TIME-FORMAT is used if file has been modified within the
| current year. The OLD-TIME-FORMAT is used for older files.  To use ISO
| 8601 dates, you could set:
|
| (setq ls-lisp-format-time-list
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]