Re: slrn and emacsclient

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: slrn and emacsclient
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:55:45 GMT

On 2007-02-01, Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I do in my .slrnrc
> set editor_command "emacs -nw '%s'"
> and I don't have any customization in my .emacs. It just works for me,
> after finishing the posting I type C-c C-c and it returns me to slrn,
> to send it.

Ok, I've got that now as well, we'll see how it works.

C-c C-c does nothing.

C-x # does nothing

C-x C-c ask me to save then returns control to slrn so that I can
post, or re-edit. That looks good. Still, it would be nice to have it
open automatically in mail-mode (or text mode) to do proper
line-wrapping and quote highlighting etc.

> Same for mutt: set editor="emacs -nw" in .muttrc, no customization
>for mutt in .emacs. I don't need to switch to the mutt window, emacs
>runs in the same terminal as mutt (or slrn).

I'm going to try that out. The only down side is that there is a
delay as a whole new instance of emacs fires up, as opposed to the
immediate response of emacs client. Not a big deal, but for a quick
one-line response it becomes noticeable.

> I think it is distracting to need to move my attention from the
> terminal window running slrn/mutt to the emacs window and back.  This
> setup works also over ssh, which is very important for me.
>
> hth.

It is a bit distracting, so the -nw route may be what I switch
to. Thanks very much!

--
Regards,

Tyler Smith