Re: file filtering

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: file filtering
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 10:18:25 -0700

Peter Tury wrote:
"HS" <hugows...> writes:

On 31 jan, 10:34, Peter Tury <tury.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
And: why I can't find keep-lines in my Emacs 22's info? I really
searched the info for similar functions before my first ask and didn't
find this :-((
Hmm... I can find in mine and I'm also using GNU Emacs 22
"keep-lines is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `replace.el'."

OK, I wasn't clear enough: I can find it _now_ = when I know its name
(C-h f is easy enough). But I couldn't find it when I just browsed the
info (C-h i): neither in Emacs nor in Elisp parts. It is neither
mentioned in thier indices.

Now I looked into replace.el and saw it _is_ part of GNU Emacs. So its
documentation should be reachable from C-h i, shouldn't it? Or: how
can I find a function if I don't know its name, just the functionality
I need? (C-h a seems to be a bit weak here for me.)

keep-lines is documented under the Searching and Replacement node of the
Emacs manual, in particular its Other Repeating Search subnode.  The
other commands documented in the same node are occur,
list-matching-lines, multi-occur, multi-occur-in-matching-buffers,
how-many, and flush-lines.

Perhaps a "filtering buffer contents" link in the Concept Index to the
Other Repeating Search node would be useful -- would that have helped
you find keep-lines?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA