gpg, pgg ubuntu seahorse

From: Hadron
Subject: gpg, pgg ubuntu seahorse
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:44:41 +0100

I am posting this here for "google completeness".

I recently had an issue where I wanted to sign an email using pgg in
emacs. It failed saying it couldnt talk to the pgg-gpg process. This was
strange as it had worked before.

Long story short - in Ubuntu edgy at least, things are fubarred.

I had to remove gpg-agent and manually add the /usr/bin/seahorse-daemon
to my system startup sessions. There is another fix out there in google
land which concisted of adding an XSession - this stopped my system
working at all. Better to just add seahorse-daemon as mentioned above.

Possibly emacs should launch it itself? But then again, probably not
since there are various gpg daemons/servers available and the sys admin
should select which is in use.