Re: Problem using with-temp-file

From: rgb
Subject: Re: Problem using with-temp-file
Date: 8 Feb 2007 06:09:44 -0800

> > After noticing that this
> > (with-temp-file "Test.txt" (insert "More testing"))
> > worked fine.
> > I realized wherein the problem lies
>
> > Debugger entered--entering a function:
> > * write-region(1 2943 "~/Data-2007-02-07-07:17.txt" nil 0)
>
> > The empty file's name is "Data-2007-02-07-07" not
> > "Data-2007-02-07-07:17.txt"
> > write-region must be mishandling an error of some kind.
>
> Looks like your Emacs is mistaking the ":" in the filename for the end
> of the filename.
> On MS Windows with GNU Emacs 21.3 this doesn't happen to me, the above
> works fine.

I've been using 22.0.x for years and really don't know what I'd do
without it.  So many things I take for granted wern't available in
21.3

> This could be a bug in filename handling in Emacs, or in the C library
> of the platform it is using.- Hide quoted text -

It's beyond me to tell if the name should have been checked by lisp
code (it wasn't) or the problem is within the C code of write-region
so a general bug report was made.

I can't help but be curious what 'works fine' means since : is
supposedly
illegal in MS filenames.  Do you get a file with : in the name à
la .emacs
or is the : missing but the contents still good or do you get an
error...